


Evangeline Kay Campbell's Birth Story.
Well, our story begins at 36 weeks when the ultrasound told us she was already over 7 pounds. We then determined that I was only 1cm and 25%. This did not look good. A week later, no change so the doctor scheduled another ultrasound for the next week. It was already looking like a c section. So, on December 2nd we went to the doctors. The ultrasound put her at over 9 pounds and guess what, only 1cm and 25%. My wonderful doctor told me that she could be in there for at least another 2 weeks and gain another 2 pounds and so for my safety, she recommended a c section. I agreed.
There is a certain irony to this as I was determined not only to have an "old fashioned" birth but to do it totally drug free. So I guess the joke was on me. We were scheduled for the next day at 1:30pm. As I called husband and told him it all seemed rather unreal - we were actually going to meet our baby in less than 24 hours. I was excited. It look away all my fear of the surgery.
I was not allowed to eat after midnight so Auggie took me out for dinner at our favourite restaurant and then we went home to pack. I didn't think I would sleep but surprisingly, I did. I enjoyed feeling Evangeline kick around in me for the last time and tried to commit to memory how it made me feel and how much I would miss her little feet poking out of me.
The next day went so fast. I cleaned the house in the morning, and put on some laundry and then dressed in dress and high heels to go to the hospital. The doctor was waiting for us on the 4th floor and we went off to the prep room. This is when I started to get nervous.
Having seen off one nurse who decided I didn't like her, I met the anaesthesiologist who was AMAZING and the other nurse, and listened to Evie's heartbeat. Then suddenly it was time for the IV, and then time to go.
Walking into the OR was cold (!!) and a bit scary. Not at all what I expected. The epidural was a non event - I didn't even feel it go in. I put this down to the doc and the nurse having been warned that I am not a good patient and therefore got extra special attention. Auggie got to watch all this from the ante room, and he then came in to join me.
As soon as the epidural started to work time flew by. My legs went hot and them numb and my doctor came in. Dr. John (the anaesthesiologist) and Auggie kept me so distracted that although I could feel some tugging, I didn't know they had started. Soon I heard someone say "just a few more minutes" and then I heard her cry and someone say "goodness that is a BIG baby to come out of such a small person". The held her up for me to see and Auggie stood up to look over the screen for a better look. Everyone who could see her agreed that she was a cute baby! Then Auggie was taken away to watch her cleaned up while Dr. John chatted to me to keep me distracted. I would like to say at this point that noone tells you about the "lost of pressure" part of a c section. Its AWFUL. I thought I was going to die. There was definitely nothing said about this in any of the books!!
But after that Auggie brought Evie to see me and then left to take her to the nursery to be weighed. 8lbs 8oz, 19.75 inches and a LOT of hair. Her apgar scores were both 9. Definitely a bouncing baby!!
After an eternity in recovery I met my baby properly. She fed easily first time and continues to do so. Shes a beautiful little girl and I don't think anything in the world could make me happier.
I will spare you from the nasty details of the day after the c section but at least I only needed motrin and tylenol so I could toast my baby with champagne when we finally came home!!
So that's my story. Long and not all that exciting . . .
Jane xxx
Pictures . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment